Monday 27 February 2012

Lemon Sugar


Sometimes I only need the juice of a lemon. The zest can removed and preserved. I cut thin strips of zest from 2 lemons and left them in a low oven to dry out. They can be kept in the fridge to dry out until you have the oven on for something else then placed in the oven to lightly roast either while the oven is warming up or after you have switched it off. I then blitzed the dried rind with some sugar and filled the small jar in the photo above. The smell is wonderful and it make a convenient addition when baking cakes or biscuits.
The other jar was made using a mixture of orange and mandarin peel.

I started out trying a recipe for Roasted Lemon Zest that I saw here on Chocolate & Zuccini I couldn't get the roasted rinds to powder in the pestle and mortar nor in my blender. When I added the sugar the blender managed fine. I don't know whether I roasted the rinds too much or not enough. I will experiment further as I would like to have a non sugar version as well for savoury dishes.

3 comments:

Zuda Gay Pease said...

Mmmm, I am thinking it would also be good to sweeten a cup of tea?

Colours and Textures said...

As long as it's connoisseur's tea!

Erika Price said...

What a great idea! I do that with vanilla pods, but had never thought about orange or lemon rind :)