Wednesday 21 July 2010

Tea and Cake

Yesterday I went to a Summer Tea tasting lead by Jennifer Wood, founder of the Canton Tea Company. It was at the Petersham Nursery's Teahouse. Petersham Nursery is hidden away up a narrow lane between a church and the R Thames and is an eclectic mix of unusual plants, antique garden furniture, glasshouses, flower filled borders as well as being foodie heaven ! There are lots of places to sit and meet friends.

The teas were delicious and delicate with the exception of one of them!
They were Jasmine green tea, White tea silver needle, Green tea Poochong, Black tea Bai Lin Gong Fu and iced tea made with Bai Lin Gong Fu and honey.







There was a selection of wonderful homemade cake: lemon polenta and almond, coffee, parsnip and maple syrup, chocolate brownie, beetroot. and fig.

The coffee cake was moist and light and came in joint favourite with the lemon polenta and almond, richer and full flavoured.


and then there was this....................................


2005 Xing Hai cooked loose Puerh Tea compressed into the form of a cake. To produce this tea leaves are dried then dry pan fried to prevent further oxidation. The next process is fermentation by micro organisms and is done in a similar way to composting by piling dampening and turning to produce ripened Puerh.

Some were reluctant to try this brew. The smell was variously described as grassy or earthy, tobacco, leather even unwashed dog or dung! The flavour was robust and interesting. I went back for more trying identify what the smell reminded me of, probably a mix of the inside of a brewery and a haystack. It is believed to have extraordinary health benefits.
These guided tea tastings are held occaisionally. The teahouse is open most of the time.












14 comments:

maryeb said...

I love tea! This looks like it was fun and what a beautiful setting.
Did you bring any of the teas home?

Pamela Baker said...

Tessa, looks like you had an enjoyable day. We have a teashop near here that has tea tasting partys. My favorite which is the name of their shop "SilverTips" which is a white tea.

Julie G. said...

what a beautiful setting...
looks & sounds delicious.

Colours and Textures said...

We brought home an oolong tea, Pouchong green tea.
I agree Pam the silver needle white is lovely.

Nuvofelt said...

Ooooh Tessa, What a lovely way to spend an afternoon. Tea and cake too! I see you didn't leave any for Bbest!

Zuda Gay Pease said...

This sounds like such fun and an absolutely lovely way to spend a day!! I would love to be able to go to a tea tasting! Jasmine green is my favorite. I've never tried a Puerh tea...maybe someday. :)

Morrgan said...

Looks like a beautiful place! I haven't heard of a tea tasting before - now I wonder why not! Not so sure about the Puerh, though. ;)

Thongbai Tatong said...

This is such a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing your lovely experience. I could almost smell the tea;) Would love to visit the place one day.

baahar said...

Beuutiful !! I love tea, especially Jasmine green tea. Haven't heard about that "silver needle" .. only had plain white tea, which was also nice :)

Unknown said...

I would love to go there Tessa....the atmosphere, the tea, the gardens....when I see this I long for another UK-trip!

Lucie Tales said...

That is my idea of spending a great time!! Lucky you! Where is that place?

Viktoria said...

Such a great post! full of very british feeling! in it´s best way!I love it, Thanks for sharing!

Kim van Waardenburg said...

wow I'd loved to be there too! thge cakes look so jummy!!

Anonymous said...

I drink tons of tea :)

And your pictures look so sweet.
So good you had a beautiful day